Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Temporary Work Visas

Going to the United States to work temporarily in specific prearranged employment requires an H (temporary worker) visa.  Athletes and artists who will be travelling for the purpose of competition or to perform are covered by P (Performance) visas.

The U.S. Embassy in Port au Prince cannot assist in job searches.


H1B Visa program is utilized by some U.S. businesses and other organizations to employ foreign workers in specialty occupations that require theoretical or technical expertise in a specialized field. Typical H-1B occupations include architects, engineers, computer programmers, accountants, doctors, college professors, and fashion models of distinguished merit and ability.

H-1C - Registered Nurses

The H-1C category applies to an alien coming temporarily to perform services as a registered nurse in a health professional shortage area as determined by the United States Department of Labor. Only 500 nurses can be granted H-1C status in a fiscal year nationally. There are also numerical limitations for each state based on the state’s population.

H-2A and H-2B Visas

The H-2A and H-2B category is used for applicants who are coming to the United States to perform a job which is temporary or seasonal in nature and for which there is a shortage of U.S. workers. H-2A refers to temporary or seasonal agricultural workers, while H-2B refers to temporary or seasonal non-agricultural workers.

H2R Visa

The H2R visa is a valid temporary worker visa. It is issued to workers who have possessed an H2 visa in the previous three fiscal years, and are returning to the United States to work. The holder of an H2R visa is entitled to the same privileges and subject to the same restrictions as other H2 Temporary Worker Visa holders.

H-3 Visa

The H-3 category is used for applicants coming to the United States principally for training purposes in which they will receive compensation. The training can be from an employer in any field, other than graduate education and training. The training cannot be used to provide productive employment and cannot be available in the individual's home country.

More information on temporary worker visas.

Useful Information for Filing the I-129 Petition with USCIS

The prospective employers of all applicants for H visas must petition the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) in the United States for approval. This is done by filing a petition, Form I-129, with the USCIS.

After the USCIS receives your completed I-129, they will review it to determine if the petition complies with U.S. law. Processing times can vary. USCIS will mail to the petitioner a notification of approval. This notification is on Form I-797. An I-797 approval notice is not a visa. You must obtain a visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate to enter the U.S.

Note: The USCIS offers a Premium Processing Service which expedites the processing of a nonimmigrant visa petition.

Visas for Family Members

Spouses and/or children under the age of 21 can receive H-4 visas to accompany the employee to the U.S. The application procedure is the same; the I-797A or B covers dependents. If your family members apply after the visa has been issued, they will need to have a copy of the primary applicant's visa included with their application. Spouses and/or children who do not intend to reside in the United States with the principal visa holder, but visit for vacation may be eligible to apply for a tourist visa.